Type of Clients Served
The primary purpose of the training program is to provide counseling services for those in the community who are not able to afford the services of our licensed mental health professionals. The training program is also intended to provide excellent clinical training for a student from one of the quality therapist training programs in the area. Grace Counseling’s internship program was established to meet the following primary goals:
- To offer professional clinical training for students and allow them to have a diverse experience in order to be prepared for licensure and the workforce
- To provide high quality, reduced fee counseling services to the community
Students will see a diverse population of clients ranging from various diagnoses, developmental stages, ethnic/racial backgrounds, religious/faith backgrounds, and/or socioeconomic status. Students can state their preference of the types of clientele they want more training with and training director will try to help meet student’s needs.
Grace Counseling takes one doctoral students and one masters student per academic year. Internship/Externship follows a traditional academic schedule and begins in August until May.
Psychological Testing, Individual Counseling, Group Therapy, Couples and Family Counseling
Duties of Student Extern
- 9-12 month internship begins in August (time is negotiable)
- Doctoral students have opportunities for testing—10-12 integrative testing batteries for the year. Evaluations include diagnostic clarification and/or Learning Differences
- Complete intakes, write notes, and treatment plans in a timely manner
- Create and run a therapy group
- Manage and maintain a caseload (10-12 clients)
- 1 hour of individual supervision (plus consultation as needed)
- 1.5 hour of group supervision
- 1 hour staff meeting/training a week
- Case conceptualizations
- Must be flexible, a self-starter and know how to initiate projects/marketing
- Major Project for the Practice–can include research project, enhancing resources (depends on the extern)
Students who are interested in applying should email a cover letter and CV. Doctoral students need to submit an example de-identified report to email@example.com. Applications can be submitted beginning in January until February. Students will be notified for an interview scheduled in March. Students will be notified about an interview after a review of application materials.