Intern/Extern Training Program
We are currently fully staffed for the 2018-2019 school year. We will begin taking applications for the 2019-2020 school year in January 2019. Please check this page for updates at that time.
The primary purpose of the training program is to provide counseling services for those in the community who are not able to afford the services of our licensed mental health professionals. The training program is also intended to provide excellent clinical training for a student from one of the quality therapist training programs in the area. Grace Counseling’s internship program was established to meet the following primary goals:
- To offer professional clinical training for students and allow them to have a diverse experience in order to be prepared for licensure and the workforce
- To provide high quality, reduced fee counseling services to the community
Students will see a diverse population of clients ranging from various diagnoses, developmental stages, ethnic/racial backgrounds, religious/faith backgrounds, and/or socioeconomic status. Students can state their preference of the types of clientele they want more training with and training director will try to help meet student’s needs.
Grace Counseling takes one doctoral students and one masters student per academic year. Internship/Externship follows a traditional academic schedule and begins in August until May.
Psychological Testing, Individual Counseling, Group Therapy, Couples and Family Counseling
Duties of Student Extern
- 9-12 month internship begins in August (time is negotiable)
- Doctoral students have opportunities for testing—10-12 integrative testing batteries for the year. Evaluations include diagnostic clarification and/or Learning Differences
- Complete intakes, write notes, and treatment plans in a timely manner
- Create and run a therapy group
- Manage and maintain a caseload (10-12 clients)
- 1 hour of individual supervision (plus consultation as needed)
- 1.5 hour of group supervision
- 1 hour staff meeting/training a week
- Case conceptualizations
- Must be flexible, a self-starter and know how to initiate projects/marketing
- Major Project for the Practice–can include research project, enhancing resources (depends on the extern)
Please check back in January 2019 to apply for the 2019-2020 school year. We currently are fully staffed for the 2018-2019 school year. Thank you for your interest.
Students who are interested in applying should prepare a cover letter and CV. Doctoral students will also need to submit a de-identified report. Students will be notified for an interview after review of application materials in March.